A simple and very nutritious meal, excellent for breakfast.
- 2 coffee cups of Oat flakes
- 10-12 Almonds
- 2 teaspoons of Raisins
- 3-5 Cardamom pods
- 2 cm Vanilla
- 1 coffee cup of vegetable milk
- Water as required
- Ghee or Honey as required
- Star anise to garnish (optional)
Soak oat flakes, almonds and raisins separately, for about one hour or more. Strain oat flakes (to get rid of extra starch), strain almonds and raisins (or use their water to cook) and put the three ingredients together. Add in vegetable milk (oat for Vata, rice/coconut for Pitta, rice or just water for Kapha), water, cardamom pods (open them up a bit to let their flavor and properties come out), cinnamon and let all cook on a medium/low heat for a few minutes until the desired texture. We can serve it adding a teaspoon of ghee (excellent for Vata) or honey (chestnut or honeydew for Vata, acacia or wildflower for Kapha), and possible other spices.
- If Agni (the digestive fire) is weak add in pippali (long pepper) or fresh ginger.
- If Vata is excessive, add in salt and/or cumin.
- If Pitta is excessive, add in grated coconut.
- If Kapha is excessive, add in Trikatu (three pungent tastes: ginger, pippali, black pepper).